I'm calling today's card a Flip-Flop Card because it combines two cards of different sizes to open in a flip-flop kind of way. You'll see what I mean as I go through the steps I used in creating this card.
I found it easiest to precut all of the papers first before assembling the card.
White Cardstock Base
- Cut one A strip 4 1/4" wide by 9" long. Score at 5 1/2" from the left edge. Fold and crease with a bone folder.
- Cut one B strip 3 1/2" wide by 7" long. Score at 3 1/2". Fold and crease with a bone folder.
Black Cardstock Layers
- To go with the A strip, cut one piece 5 1/4" by 4", and cut two pieces each 3 1/4" by 4".
- To go with the B strip, cut three pieces each 3 1/4" by 3 1/4".
Squash Dot Paper Layers
- To go onto the black layers on the A strip, cut one piece 5" by 3 3/4" and two pieces 3" by 3 3/4".
- To go onto the black layers on the B strip, cut three pieces each 3" by 3".
Cut these Memory Box Dies from Black Cardstock:
- INTRICATE BEE 99920
- CHEERY FLOWER COLLAGE 99946 and trim into a square 3 1/4" by 3 1/4". Cut it again and snip off the blooms.
- FORGET ME NOT BLOOMS 99997
- SWEET HONEYBEES 99989
- HONEYCOMB STITCHED CIRCLE FRAME 99923
- DRIFTING SIDE BUTTERFLY 99900--I used the intricate die.
Now to assemble everything. I used a tape runner and adhered all of the dot paper pieces to their corresponding black base layers. I then used the tape runner to attach those pieces to the white cardstock base layers. On the A strip, the large layer goes on the inside with the smaller piece on the righthand side of the fold and the other one that is the same size on the back of that fold.
On the white cardstock B strip, I added the layers to the front and to the two inside panels.
The next step was to put the two cards together to create the flip-flop. I opened up the larger base card and placed the smaller card on top of the large lefthand page about 1/2" in from the edge of the black base layer, securing it with the tape runner.
The fun part next was deciding which of the die cut images would go where.
I started by opening the smaller square card. Inside on the left I added a shortened Forget me Not Blooms and one of the Sweet Honeybees. Inside on the right I added the Honeycomb Stitched Circle Frame and the other of the Sweet Honeybees.
I kept this smaller card open while finishing inside the larger base card. On the righthand panel I used the snipped flowers from the Cheery Flower Collage and the intricate Drifting Side Butterfly. I also added some rub-on words.
Keeping the smaller card open, I flipped the butterfly page closed on top of the Honeycomb page. On the newly exposed panel I added the Cheery Flower Collage square. Then I flipped the Sweet Honeybee/Forget Me Not page over it to close the card. I used a foam pop-dot to add the Intricate Bee to the front of the card to finish it off.
Because of the dimensions I chose, this card fits into a standard A2 envelope.
I do love cards that open in interesting ways. Happy Crafting!